It’s no secret murals are having a moment. Here, designers offer their advice on incorporating the illustrations throughout the home. Plus, learn how some pros are working them into recent projects.
1. “We did a huge silhouette of native Oregon plants in a main bedroom. The design bled onto the ceiling and window frames. The result is fantastic.” –STEWART HORNER, PENNY BLACK INTERIORS
2. “Wall treatments can be incredibly impactful in confined spaces, like powder baths, where one is fully enveloped in the artwork.” –MARIE FLANIGAN, MARIE FLANIGAN INTERIORS
3. “I have a hand-painted Chinese mural in my living room. It constantly draws me into the space.” –ALEX PAPACHRISTIDIS, ALEX PAPACHRISTIDIS INTERIORS
4. “We’re doing a large mural in a stairwell because hanging art would be tricky there. Covering the walls in this manner makes it instantly more special.” –JULIE MASSUCCO KLEINER AND MELISSA WARNER ROTHBLUM, MASSUCCO WARNER
5. “Dining rooms and entries are prime locations for dramatic murals—these welcoming and entertaining areas set the stage for the rest of the home.” –KATIE LEEDE, KATIE LEEDE STUDIO