The adaptive reuse of a 19th-century building fronting Charleston’s King Street is paving the way for a mixed-use property that lasts 150 years more.
Built circa-1871 by architect John Henry Devereux for the city’s freemasons, the Tudor Gothic Revival edifice sat sentinel at 71 Wentworth Street for decades, until developers East West Partners got designs to transform it with the aid of architect Kevan Hoertdoerfer, designer Cortney Bishop and the blessing of the Preservation Society of Charleston. Double- to triple-height cathedral ceilings and gothic arched windows soar as high as 18 feet, within 12 superlative private residences that span the upper two floors.
Designed to spec by Bishop in five distinct floor plans, they’ll feature original materials (exposed antique brick, original heart pine beams), elegant loggias, high-end appliances, luxury finishes (hand-troweled plaster, certified sustainable French oak floors, Evirio marble, Zellige tile), local cabinetry by Brooks Custom Woodworks and sculptural furnishings, plus modern technologies that bring the building forward. Units will be move-in ready early next year.